Today we are going to take a look at the popular social networking service Orkut. Orkut is owned by Google, which means that the Google username and password are used to log into the website. The risk associated with losing the account login is higher than that of other services, largely because the login allows the attacker to log in and use other Google services as well. It is for instance possible to log into Gmail with the same account details.
Orkut account basics:
The main Orkut website is accessible at http://www.orkut.com/ or https://www.orkut.com/. Both sites redirect to a Google login page. It is important to always enter the addresses manually, or to save them as bookmarks and click on the bookmarks to access the page. This reduces the risk of phishing tremendously. [Do not know what phishing is? Check out or phishing Flow Chart]
The spartan page lists contains a short description of what Orkut is about and a dominant login form on the right.
The Orkut user needs to enter an email and password of the Google account to log into Orkut.
Two types of problems are usually experienced when trying to connect to Orkut. The Orkut login page may not be loading correctly, or it may display an error message, The other problem is that either the email or account password cannot be remembered, or that they are not accepted.
Orkut Page Not Loading
The first thing to try if the website is not loading is to press F5 to refresh it. This will request the web page again. If it loads it was just a temporary fluke, if it does not load read on.
Next option is to clear the web browser cache, to make sure that all old Orkut files on the computer hard drive are deleted and that all website files are downloaded from the Orkut server.
This procedure depends largely on the web browser used. Check out our Facebook Login Helper PDF document for detailed instructions for Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome and Opera.
If clearing the web cache does not help do the following: Make sure you have the latest version of your web browser. The document mentioned above contains links to the webpages of all popular browser developers from where the latest versions can be downloaded.
This leads directly to the next option. Switch to another web browser, to see if the Orkut website opens in that browser. The issue is related to the standard browser if it does, if it does not it is a general issue affecting the traffic instead. This could mean that the firewall, router or Internet security software are blocking the connection.
The best way to test this is to use another computer to log into Orkut. If the login works properly you are in for some low level troubleshooting.
Orkut Login problems
If the Orkut website is loading fine you might encounter problems logging into Orkut.
Google has created a help page to aid users with login problems. Please note that this login issues will also be experienced at other Google web services, say Gmail or Google Reader.
Orkut users who have forgotten their password can request a new one at this page.
If you have forgotten the email address instead go to this page. There is no option but to guess the email address until you get it right. It may help to open the email client or web email client to find out about the email address.
Related Login Errors
- ‘Your browser’s cookie functionality is turned off. Please turn it on.’ – Make sure you have cookies enabled, check this help page for details.
- ‘Invalid email address’ error – You may be accidentally putting an extra space in the middle of your username.
There are other reasons you may also be getting this error message:
* There’s more than one ‘@’ sign.
* The username is longer than 300 characters.
* You’re entering ‘@gmail’ or ‘@yahoo’ instead of ‘@gmail.com’ or ‘@yahoo.com’
If this did not resolve your problem, try refreshing your browser. Then re-type your username or email address.
General Orkut Security Tips
- Never reveal your username or password to anyone
- Use a password manager like Last Pass for extra security
- Always log out of Orkut before you close the site
- Always open Orkut directly, never click on links that allegedly lead to the site
- Make sure you have a secure account password, suggested are at least 14 characters made up of upper and lower case letters, numbers and special chars.
- Do not copy and paste scripts into the Orkut web page or the address bar of the web browser.
- Make sure your operating system is up to date, always, no exceptions
You should also note that the Orkut login is linked to the Google Account. There are several security and safety options available, like adding a secondary email address to the account, configuring a security question, a mobile phone number and more.